Wednesday 18 March 2015

Zooming


Zooming is a technique that can create truly amazing results if done correctly. It can take a fair amount of practice to nail the art of 'Zooming' but the unique quality of these types of images is worth the patience. Below are two images of my very first time trying this out, I would like to try this out again as I feel with more practice using a variety of subjects, I could achieve more eye catching results. These images are a reasonable example but they are a tad bland, still they do have some awesome motion blur. I would like to try this out using a tree and somewhere really colourful to create an image that is just bursting out with colour; patterns would be an interesting subject for this technique also.

To create this affect it is best to use a lens that can be manually focused and is quick to turn. A fixed lens won't work as the basis of this technique lies within the movement of the lens while the shutter is open, therefore you will need a zoom lens for this to work properly. A slow shutter speed of 1-4seconds is needed to capture the abstract visual affect and an ISO setting of 100-200 would work best with an aperture of F22. The key is to focus on your subject, release the shut and zoom out just before the shutter closes again; because a slow shutter speed is needed a tripod is an essential piece of equipment here. You can use a shutter release or self timer on the camera if you wish. These images didn't work very well; the first image of one of my film cameras was shot from floor level in order to steady the camera and to get a close up view of the subject. If I took this image again, I would place the camera (subject) higher up, perhaps on a table, I would then be able to mount my camera on a tripod and get the same composition but a much better 'zooming' effect. The second image was shot whilst I was in London, unfortunately I didn't have my tripod with me, I tried it out anyway just to see what results i could get whilst hand holding my camera. Next time I will take my tripod with me.

This technique is a good example for showing the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Needing a wider aperture of F22 means the subject and background are in focus but less light is getting into the camera, the lower ISO and slow shutter speed counteracts the wider aperture.




No comments:

Post a Comment